Re: [GENERAL] Postgres HA - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Julyanto Sutandang
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Postgres HA
Date
List pgsql-general
Dear Dylan,

Talking about High Availability, we should understand the basic concept of HA, it is avoiding SPOF (Single Point of Failure). When we use a Loadbalancer (LTM) and that load balancer is single, then you may get HA only for the PostgreSQL but there are another single point of failure, it is the LTM it self. In overall that  topology is not HA.

The best configuration for HA i know is using Linux-HA to watch between 2 servers and doing failover VIP (Virtual IP) when Master is down or out of service. The best configuration for HA, Servers should be on the same site and uses direct cable connection to ensure dedicated private bandwidth and there are no Single Point of Failure.
LinuxHA or pacemaker or corosync will do the Virtual IP swing over from master host to slave host and promote the replica database in slave host become master.

There is no single point of failure.

Julyanto SUTANDANG

Equnix Business Solutions, PT | www.equnix.id
(An Open Source and Open Mind Company)
Plaza Semanggi 9 Fl. Unit 9; Jl. Jend Sudirman Kav 50
Jakarta - Indonesia 12930

Caution: The information enclosed in this email (and any attachments) may be legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.Unless it is made by the authorized person, any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of PT Equnix Business Solutions.