Re: [ODBC] UTF-8 data migration problem in Postgresql 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [ODBC] UTF-8 data migration problem in Postgresql 7.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jean-Michel POURE <jm.poure@freesurf.fr> writes:
> You are right, Yudit shows an invalid UTF-8 character.

> For example, record OID 20643 has invalid =E3=82 character. But, when
> querying the PostgreSQL 7.1.3 database, I can see the missing character which
> displays well in Apache/PHP.

Does your Apache/PHP environment set any particular client encoding?

I am wondering if Apache is seeing a different translation of the
database contents than what pg_dump got.

BTW, it seems entirely likely that Windows apps might display something
for UTF-8 sequences that are invalid according to the published specs.
It'd be just like Microsoft to "extend" the standard...