Re: [ODBC] UTF-8 data migration problem in Postgresql 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: [ODBC] UTF-8 data migration problem in Postgresql 7.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Does your Apache/PHP environment set any particular client encoding?
> I am wondering if Apache is seeing a different translation of the
> database contents than what pg_dump got.
I recompiled PHP with UTF-8 internal encoding. So no transcoding is performed.

> BTW, it seems entirely likely that Windows apps might display something
> for UTF-8 sequences that are invalid according to the published specs.
> It'd be just like Microsoft to "extend" the standard...

It might be the case, I agree. Could it be a problem of surface (UCS-2
characters embedded in UTF-8)? PostgreSQL 7.3 should accept more UTF-8
characters anyway as I can display all Japanese characters. Many users may
have the same problem. So why filter?

Again, Ithe problem might also come from pg_dump. The database has French and
Dutch content. There are also errors in the Dutch file... Is there a way to
perform some testing?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE