Re: GROUP BY ALL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vik Fearing
Subject Re: GROUP BY ALL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/19/22 05:19, Andrey Borodin wrote:
> Hi hackers!
>
> I saw a thread in a social network[0] about GROUP BY ALL. The idea seems useful.
> I always was writing something like
>      select datname, usename, count(*) from pg_stat_activity group by 1,2;
> and then rewriting to
>      select datname, usename, query, count(*) from pg_stat_activity group by 1,2;
> and then "aaahhhh, add a number at the end".
>
> With the proposed feature I can write just
>      select datname, usename, count(*) from pg_stat_activity group by all;

We already have GROUP BY ALL, but it doesn't do this.

> PFA very dummy implementation just for a discussion. I think we can
> add all non-aggregating targets.
>
> What do you think?

I think this is a pretty terrible idea.  If we want that kind of
behavior, we should just allow the GROUP BY to be omitted since without
grouping sets, it is kind of redundant anyway.

I don't know what my opinion is on that.
--
Vik Fearing