GROUP BY ALL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrey Borodin
Subject GROUP BY ALL
Date
Re: GROUP BY ALL  (Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi hackers!

I saw a thread in a social network[0] about GROUP BY ALL. The idea seems useful.
I always was writing something like
    select datname, usename, count(*) from pg_stat_activity group by 1,2;
and then rewriting to
    select datname, usename, query, count(*) from pg_stat_activity group by 1,2;
and then "aaahhhh, add a number at the end".

With the proposed feature I can write just
    select datname, usename, count(*) from pg_stat_activity group by all;

PFA very dummy implementation just for a discussion. I think we can
add all non-aggregating targets.

What do you think?

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

[0] https://www.linkedin.com/posts/mosha_duckdb-firebolt-snowflake-activity-7009615821006131200-VQ0o/