Re: pgsql: Doc: Explain about Column List feature. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pgsql: Doc: Explain about Column List feature.
Date
Re: pgsql: Doc: Explain about Column List feature.  (Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Sep-15, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> On 2022-Sep-15, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > Looking at the rendered docs again, I notice that section "31.4.5.
> > Combining Multiple Column Lists" is *only* the red-tinted Warning block.
> > That seems quite odd.  I am tempted to remove the sect2 heading for that
> > one too.
>
> Pushed.  I didn't modify this part; I spent too much time looking at it
> trying to figure out how to do it.  I think this bit really belongs in
> the CREATE/ALTER docs rather than this chapter.  But in order to support
> having a separate <para> for the restriction on combination, we need a
> separate <varlistentry> for the column_name parameter. So I'm going to
> edit that one and I'll throw this change in.

I figured out how to fix this one -- just remove the <sect2> tags, and
add a <title> tag to the <warning> box.  The attached yields the
explanatory text in a separate box that doesn't have the silly
otherwise-empty section title.  We add the 'id' that was in the sect2 to
the warning; with this, at the referencing end the full title is
rendered, which looks quite reasonable.  I have attached screenshots of
both sides of this.

Compare the existing
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/logical-replication-col-lists.html#LOGICAL-REPLICATION-COL-LIST-COMBINING

Unless there are objections, I'll get this pushed to 15 and master.

Attachment