Re: [HACKERS] Logical replication: stuck spinlock atReplicationSlotRelease - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Logical replication: stuck spinlock atReplicationSlotRelease
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 6/23/17 20:58, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 6/23/17 16:15, Andres Freund wrote:
>> On 2017-06-23 13:26:58 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> Hmm, so for instance in LogicalIncreaseRestartDecodingForSlot() we have
>>> some elog(DEBUG1) calls with the slot spinlock held.  That's probably
>>> uncool.
>>
>> It definitely is not cool, rather daft even (it's probably me who wrote
>> that).  No idea why I've done it like that, makes no sense.
>
> Do you want to take a look at move those elog calls around a bit?  That
> should do it.

This hasn't been fixed yet.  How should we do it?  Just move the
spinlock release before the elog() calls, thus risking reading some data
unprotected, or copy the necessary things into local variables?