Re: pg_regress breaks on msys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_regress breaks on msys
Date
Re: pg_regress breaks on msys  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> This error message seems pretty thoroughly unhelpful though.  Any ideas
>> what it's unhappy about?

> I think we need to change the pg_regress error messages so that it
> includes the command string that failed, at least for now.

Done, but I bet it doesn't tell us anything we don't know already.

> It will be either quoting problem or a vitual path problem, I am pretty
> sure.  The old shell script ran in a bourne-shell-like manner. But
> calling system() from a C program will call the Windows command shell,
> where the quoting rules are quite different.

In src/include/port.h we have

/**    Win32 needs double quotes at the beginning and end of system()*    strings.  If not, it gets confused with
multiplequoted strings.*    It also requires double-quotes around the executable name and*    any files used for
redirection. Other args can use single-quotes.**    See the "Notes" section about quotes at:*
http://home.earthlink.net/~rlively/MANUALS/COMMANDS/C/CMD.HTM*/

The referenced link seems to be dead :-( but AFAICS the pg_regress code
is following the stated rules.  Also, how is it getting past the "make
install" step which is quoting things just the same?  Puzzling.