Re: pg_regress breaks on msys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_regress breaks on msys
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> In src/include/port.h we have
>
> /*
>  *    Win32 needs double quotes at the beginning and end of system()
>  *    strings.  If not, it gets confused with multiple quoted strings.
>  *    It also requires double-quotes around the executable name and
>  *    any files used for redirection.  Other args can use single-quotes.
>  *
>  *    See the "Notes" section about quotes at:
>  *        http://home.earthlink.net/~rlively/MANUALS/COMMANDS/C/CMD.HTM
>  */
>
> The referenced link seems to be dead :-( but AFAICS the pg_regress code
> is following the stated rules.  Also, how is it getting past the "make
> install" step which is quoting things just the same?  Puzzling.

I found the description somewhere else and copied it into our header
file:
*  From http://www.computerhope.com/cmd.htm:**  1. If all of the following conditions are met, then quote characters*
onthe command line are preserved:**   - no /S switch*   - exactly two quote characters*   - no special characters
betweenthe two quote characters, where special*     is one of: &<>()@^|*   - there are one or more whitespace
charactersbetween the the two quote*     characters*   - the string between the two quote characters is the name of an*
   executable file.**   2. Otherwise, old behavior is to see if the first character is a quote*   character and if so,
stripthe leading character and remove the last*   quote character on the command line, preserving any text after the
last*  quote character.