Re: pg_regress breaks on msys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pg_regress breaks on msys
Date
Re: pg_regress breaks on msys  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>

>>pg_regress now seems to break on Msys virtual locations:
>>Example from the buildfarm: http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=snake&dt=2006-07-19%2009:00:00
>>

>>================== pgsql.4660/src/test/regress/log/initdb.log ===================
>>The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
>>

>>Surely this was tested when the original was prepared?
>>

>You can probably blame me instead of Magnus, because I did extensive
>fooling with the quoting of the commands issued by pg_regress ... and
>no, I don't have msys to test with, that's what the buildfarm is for ;-)

Neither do I right now.

>This error message seems pretty thoroughly unhelpful though.  Any ideas
>what it's unhappy about?

I think we need to change the pg_regress error messages so that it
includes the command string that failed, at least for now.

Then we might know instead of speculating.

It will be either quoting problem or a vitual path problem, I am pretty
sure.  The old shell script ran in a bourne-shell-like manner. But
calling system() from a C program will call the Windows command shell,
where the quoting rules are quite different.

cheers

andrew