Re: USE_AUSTRALIAN_RULES breaks regression tests in 7.1.2? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: USE_AUSTRALIAN_RULES breaks regression tests in 7.1.2?
Date
Re: USE_AUSTRALIAN_RULES breaks regression tests in 7.1.2?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
Justin Clift <aa2@bigpond.net.au> writes:
> a) Make the regression tests run in the GMT timezone (+0, no DST, etc) and
> have the expected results also be in GMT.

Not good since that would disable all exercising of DST-related
functionality.

> b) Have an alternate set of results available for the timestamp and horology
> tests, automatically used when the regression tests are run with
> USE_AUSTRALIAN_RULES.

Also not good, from a maintenance standpoint --- we have enough variants
of those files already :-(.

I am inclined to think that treating USE_AUSTRALIAN_RULES as a compile
time option was the wrong idea.  It should be a runtime (GUC) option;
then it can be switched off to run the regress tests, regardless of
whether a particular installation keeps it on by default.

            regards, tom lane