Re: psql \e broken again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: psql \e broken again
Date
Re: psql \e broken again  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> >> Agreed, no quotes on Unix.  I'm just wondering what to do
> on Windows.
>
> > I would require the user to add quotes around his
> executable if it has
> > spaces.
>
> > set EDITOR="C:/Program Files/vim/vim63/gvim.exe" -y
>
> I think this policy is OK for the Mac OS X case, but I am
> wondering if it will cause any compatibility problems on
> Windows.  In particular, if other programs expect to
> double-quote EDITOR themselves, then there'd be no way to
> make the same value work for both PG and the others.

I don't think I've seen a single windows program that uses the EDITOR
variable. There are some ported unix tools, but that's it. Native
windows program will have a per-program setting for this. The system
default is picked based on file extension. So I doubt it will break a
lot of things.

If we're very worried about this, how about using PGEDITOR instead of
EDITOR?

//Magnus