Re: psql \e broken again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: psql \e broken again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > We could maybe compromise with (again, for Windows only) a
> policy like
> > "double-quote unless the value already contains at least one
> > double-quote".  This should work conveniently for everybody
> except the
> > user who wants EDITOR='gvim.exe -y' on Windows; he'll have
> to add some
> > useless-looking double quotes a la EDITOR='"gvim.exe" -y'.
>
> Single quotes don't work on Windows (tried with %EDITOR%
> x.txt). I think we should not worry too much since the user
> could use the "good old"
> EDITOR=C:/PROGRA~1/vim/vim63/gvim.exe -y syntax on win if all
> else fails.

No we can't assume people can do that :-)
Anybody who's running at least a server for max file performance (or
when you're talking a web server in some cases certainly for security as
well) run with 8.3 filenames turned off per
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/121007.
It's not uncommon to see this pushed out with Group Policy as well.

//Magnus