Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Petersen
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
Re: Code of Conduct plan  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
List pgsql-general
On Jun 4, 2018, at 10:59 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

"snowflake", I find that term hilarious others find it highly offensive. Which is correct?

I don’t think it’s offensive but it plainly fails your “if you wouldn’t say it to a client, don’t say it here” test.

Generally we so-called “snowflakes” aren’t the ones raising hell about CoCs, which is the third rail I’ve seen most likely to set off the actually hypersensitive types who fling this so-called insult around.

To be honest, examples like “sacrifice a willing virgin” or “offering my first born […]”, etc. do not contribute to conversations but rather bury rhetorical and technical weaknesses under a top layer of historical/emotional semiotic thatch that must be cut through to appropriately determine the validity of an argument. I do not understand what one might hope to preserve by ensuring users of such phrases are permitted to continue putting up such smokescreens.

Ultimately, the important thing this CoC provides is some concrete language to point at when a party is aggrieved and explicit avenues of redress available when one refuses to address one’s own behavior. We’re adults here, the strawmen of people being harangued out of the community because they said a bad word are unlikely to materialize.

+1

--
Jason Petersen
Software Engineer | Citus Data