Re: Microsoft buys GitHub, is this a threat to open-source - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Microsoft buys GitHub, is this a threat to open-source
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Michael Nolan <htfoot@gmail.com> writes:
> Microsoft has bought GitHub for $7.5 billion, is this a threat to the open
> source community?

A fair question, but one that seems entirely off-topic for the Postgres
lists, since we don't depend on GitHub.  (And that's a thing for which
I'm very glad today.)

                        regards, tom lane

Core postgres is OK, but I think there are a number of postgres-related projects that might be on places like GitHub.

I have few projects there - Orafce, plpgsql_check, and pspg. I hope so these projects are well protected by BSD licence - and distributed redundant nature of git. I hope so there is not reason for panic this moment. I have not a big data in non git sources - issues, and others.

But I understand so there are projects that are (can be) in conflicts of interests with Microsoft, and it can be problem.

Regards

Pavel

--
Mike Nolan