Re: Using Postgres as a "embedded" / SQL Lite database on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Hawkes
Subject Re: Using Postgres as a "embedded" / SQL Lite database on Windows
Date
Re: Using Postgres as a "embedded" / SQL Lite database on Windows  (Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>)
Re: Using Postgres as a "embedded" / SQL Lite database on Windows  (Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>)
Re: Using Postgres as a "embedded" / SQL Lite database on Windows  ("Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi

OK, Sorry but I did search, and did not find anything useful.

Maybe putting forward a embedded solution as part of the question was the wrong option.

If I could reword:

Given that we have a large estiblished client base running a Delphi/Paradox solution, and that we would like to replace Paradox with a much better SQL engine, I was looking for comments as to how Postgres maybe suitable.

We will be implementing more multi-user features - it really is only single user at this stage, plus we would like to be able to use better SQL - espically for Reporting - where currently we have hundreds of lines of Delphi code which could be replaced with a one or two reasonable SQL Queries.

There will really be two targets, replacing the existing single user solutions, and providing a larger solution with multi-user etc. There is however large base of similar code between these solutions, and it would be perferable if they could use the same back-end engine or something very simliar. I know some people will aruge that you should use the right tool for the job, and I guess I am tring to see if there is a right tool which will work for both these.

My main/only real hesiation with Postgres is around supporting non IT users, mainly around installation. I am keen to here peoples comments on this, and what steps could be taken to mitigate these.

Currently the main alternate which is being considered is SQL Server, using SQL Express, SQL Mobile/Compact. But I see this as limiting use to only features supported by the Compact edition, or having to install SQL Express - which I can see as being worst than supporting Postgres Installs.

Thank you for your comments
Craig

On 10/24/07, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com > wrote:
On 10/23/07, Craig Hawkes < craig.hawkes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone I have a question re using postgres as a "embedded" database on
> Windows.

This question gets asked about once every three months.  Searching the
archives should turn up some previous discussions on the subject.

> First a little background:
> I have been using Postgres for a number of years on Linux, and it is great.
> I am now working with a company which develops Windows software using
> Delphi. This has been successful and they have a number of users (1000's).
> This currently uses a Paradox database. For various reasons (some I am sure
> you can guess!) we would like to move away from paradox, and Postgres is a
> good option.

> I would like to hear feed back from others, has anyone else deployed
> Postgres in this type of environment?
> Are there options for running postgres, maybe as a process (maybe the wrong
> term) within the main application - this could be started and stopped by the
> application?

No, and it's not likely to happen.  this would make postgresql subject
to silent corruption if the application crashed, and no one wants to
support that on top of the version we already have.

> I am thinking some type of options similar to SQLLite would be great for a
> single user install - but we also want to be able to A) use the full power
> of Postgres, B) set-up as a full server in some other cases.

Sadly, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch here.  Either you
install the real thing, and deal with the issues of administration and
such, or you go with sqllite or it's brethren.

I'd look into building an appliance computer for the customers.
Something in a 1U rack mount with a pair of SATA or SAS drives mounted
in a sw RAID-1 would do nicely for this kind of thing.  Think of it as
delivering the whole solution.  Deliver it with a super simple custom
gui on top to create accounts or phpmyadmin or something.  The further
away from a database on every desktop you get, generally the better
off you'll be.

If embedded fits this project better, then look elsewhere, it's really
not pgsql's strong suit.