Re: Using Postgres as a "embedded" / SQL Lite database on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Using Postgres as a "embedded" / SQL Lite database on Windows
Date
List pgsql-general

On 10/24/07 15:04, Craig Hawkes wrote:
> Hi
>
> OK, Sorry but I did search, and did not find anything useful.
>
> Maybe putting forward a embedded solution as part of the question was the
> wrong option.
>
> If I could reword:
>
> Given that we have a large estiblished client base running a Delphi/Paradox
> solution, and that we would like to replace Paradox with a much better SQL
> engine, I was looking for comments as to how Postgres maybe suitable.
>
> We will be implementing more multi-user features - it really is only single
> user at this stage, plus we would like to be able to use better SQL -
> espically for Reporting - where currently we have hundreds of lines of
> Delphi code which could be replaced with a one or two reasonable SQL
> Queries.

Hmmm.  Is Paradox that bad?  Or are you pinning too many hopes on SQL?

> There will really be two targets, replacing the existing single user
> solutions, and providing a larger solution with multi-user etc. There is
> however large base of similar code between these solutions, and it would be
> perferable if they could use the same back-end engine or something very
> simliar. I know some people will aruge that you should use the right tool
> for the job, and I guess I am tring to see if there is a right tool which
> will work for both these.
>
> My main/only real hesiation with Postgres is around supporting non IT users,
> mainly around installation. I am keen to here peoples comments on this, and
> what steps could be taken to mitigate these.

Install PostgreSQL on your box, run the app and see how much
maintenance it needs, and how much can be scripted.

If PG is installed as a service (which it should be, no?), then
certainly there is an API call to start the postgresql service at
the beginning of your app and another to stop the service during app
termination.

> Currently the main alternate which is being considered is SQL Server, using
> SQL Express, SQL Mobile/Compact. But I see this as limiting use to only
> features supported by the Compact edition, or having to install SQL Express
> - which I can see as being worst than supporting Postgres Installs.

I think that you're just going to have to create a pilot project to
see how it fits your individual needs.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA