Re: Using Postgres as a "embedded" / SQL Lite database on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy
Subject Re: Using Postgres as a "embedded" / SQL Lite database on Windows
Date
List pgsql-general
Ron Johnson wrote:

> Hmmm.  Is Paradox that bad?

Yes.  I'm also a Delphi developer, who has already converted a paradox
program (was just before pg on windows.. bummer)

Paradox is a file share'd database (like dbase), and when the program
crashes, it'll hose up your pdox tables too.   Especially if they are
shared on the network.

You can do pdox apps in two ways, with table operations, or sql.

By table operations I mean:

table.open;
table.IndexName := 'name';
table.findFirst('bob');
table.edit;
table.fieldByName('pay').asInteger := 4;
table.post;

You'd say, why do that when there is sql?  Because its not exactly
stable.  I did code in sql to update some photos, by looking at the code
you'd think it would work.. but it didnt.  (was a delete statement, then
an insert).  Sometime it worked, sometimes not.  I replaced it with
table operations and it always worked.

We ported over to firebird, it is so much more stable now (We used to
have to tell people to restore from backup all the time, just cuz pdox
is not stable) and is much simpler to maintain the db because we get to
fire off sql.  Our database upgrade was a huge program that would
restructure the database... now its just a little sql script.  Its so
much nicer.

-Andy