Re: [HACKERS] How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Torsten Zühlsdorff
Subject Re: [HACKERS] How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 08.03.2016 18:05, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 03/07/2016 10:24 PM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
>>> From: pgsql-advocacy-owner@postgresql.org
>>> [mailto:pgsql-advocacy-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Adrian
>>> Klaver
>>>
>>> Though if you go to the actual list:
>>> http://www.mysql.com/customers/embedded/
>>>
>>> There is at a rough count, 300.
>>>
>>> This points to the central dilemma, some of which is addressed
>>> below, separating fact from fiction.
>>
>> It seems the "Embedded" category shows products which use MySQL
>> internally.  Other products/vendors, such as JasperSoft and Talend
>> which "can be used with" MySQL, are probably list elsewhere.  e.g.
>> Talend lists MySQL in their ecosystem page:
>>
>> https://jp.talend.com/ecosystem/company/mysql
>>
>> The 2,000 ISV/OEM/VARs Oracle touts should be found in the "MySQL
>> specialization" section of Oracle Partner Network (OPN) site,
>> though I couldn't access.  I wonder if and where I can get the
>> partner/product listing for Oracle Database.  That's what I want.
>
> Do you really want to track down every single use site/application
> that uses MySQL?
>
> Would it not be better to work from the other end, ask people what
> applications they want to use with Postgres and then compile a list
> of those are supported or not? Basically the first part of your

I don't believe that a list of every single site/application using
PostgreSQL would be helpful. Nobody would read this. There are thousands
of programming languages, but most people know around 10. We should
focus on well known software and their support of PostgreSQL.

And i like the idea of asking people where the want support for
PostgreSQL. Based on the list we maybe can find volunteers which add
support to the projects.

Greetings,
Torsten