Re: [HACKERS] How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [HACKERS] How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 03/09/2016 07:29 PM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
>> From: Adrian Klaver [mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com]
>> On 03/07/2016 10:24 PM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
>>> The 2,000 ISV/OEM/VARs Oracle touts should be found in the "MySQL
>> specialization" section of Oracle Partner Network (OPN) site, though I
>> couldn't access.  I wonder if and where I can get the partner/product
>> listing for Oracle Database.  That's what I want.
>>
>> Do you really want to track down every single use site/application that
>> uses MySQL?
>>
>> Would it not be better to work from the other end, ask people what
>> applications they want to use with Postgres and then compile a list of those
>> are supported or not? Basically the first part of your previous post.
>
> Agreed.  I think I will make a web form questionnaire and post it to pgsql-advocacy and pgsql-announce.
>
> But that would only solicit opinions of existing PostgreSQL users...  Any advice would be much appreciated where to
postthe questionnaire to hear from other databases' users.

Well in general I would say the first step is determine where all this
information is going to land. In other words establish the page on
either the main site or the Wiki. Seed it with what is known now and
then use that to point people to. The information from existing users
could go there and new users pointed there, with an option for new users
to submit applications they are interested in and do not see. To keep
this from spirally out of control, especially spam, will require a good
deal of set up thought and planning. The Web site is run through the
list below, so you might want to start there to see what is even possible:

http://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-www

> On the other hand, I want to get the application/service list for Oracle and MySQL.  That will probably help us to
selecteffective (=famous) applications to address in preference, though the selection may be subjective.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com