Re: Test code is worth the space - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Test code is worth the space
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/13/15 1:31 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 11:23 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>> The value of a core regression suite that takes less time to run has
>>> to be weighed against the possibility that a better core regression
>>> suite might cause us to find more bugs before committing.  That could
>>> easily be worth the price in runtime.
>>

>> Or have a quickcheck you run "all the time" and then run the bigger one once
>> before committing perhaps?
>
> I favor splitting the regression tests to add "all the time" and
> "before commit" targets as you describe. I think that once the
> facility is there, we can determine over time how expansive that
> second category gets to be.

I don't know how many folks work in a github fork of Postgres, but
anyone that does could run slow checks on every single push via
Travis-CI. [1] is an example of that. That wouldn't work directly since
it depends on Peter Eisentraut's scripts [2] that pull from
apt.postgresql.org, but presumably it wouldn't be too hard to get tests
running directly out of a Postgres repo.

[1] https://travis-ci.org/decibel/variant
[2] See wget URLs in
https://github.com/decibel/variant/blob/master/.travis.yml