Re: How to get plpython2 in /lib? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: How to get plpython2 in /lib?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/06/2015 09:43 PM, dpopova@uvic.ca wrote:
> Thank you, Adrian.
> Maybe, you will be able to find something useful.
> I spent more hours trying to
> - install PostgreSQL 9.3 (successful, but with python3)
> - install PostgresApp 9.3 (unsuccessful, could not start postgres,  but no
> matter - no python2 there anyway), then uninstall it.
> - install Python 2.7 (successful)
>
> MADlib still cannot be registered - same failure, with no plpython2 found
> in /lib:
>
> madpack.py : INFO : Testing PL/Python environment...
> madpack.py : INFO : > Creating language PL/Python...
> madpack.py : ERROR : SQL command failed:
> SQL: CREATE LANGUAGE plpythonu;
> ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/plpython2": No such file or directory
>
> madpack.py : ERROR : Cannot create language plpythonu. Stopping
> installation...
> madpack.py : ERROR : MADlib installation failed.
>
> Sad,  :-(

Still not sure why EDB is forcing Python 3 use and not offering option
to use Python 2?

Might be worth posting in their forum below to see if there is a
solution that I have missed:

http://forums.enterprisedb.com/forums/show/9.page

According to this:

https://github.com/PostgresApp/PostgresApp/issues/150

Postgres.app 9.3 should have plpythonu in it.

If it where me the first thing I would do is remove all the Postgres
installs you have done, either EDB or postgres.app. I suspect that some
of the problems you are seeing is multiple instances of Postgres trying
to run at the same time. Then I would try the postgres.app version
9.3.5.2. If the above does not work then see below.

There is the option of building from source, though that requires you
have the build tools installed. I have built from source on Linux* and
have installed Postgres using the installer on Windows, but I have never
installed Postgres on OS X so I am probably not the best person to guide
you through this. Hopefully someone with more experience can step in and
offer further assistance.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com