Re: 2 postgresql server on the same station : conflict? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: 2 postgresql server on the same station : conflict?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/28/2013 3:02 AM, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
On 28/05/2013 10:57, image wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On the same station, i have 2 postgresql server: one for my postgis db
> (v9.1) and so another installed with opener^7 (9.2). Unfortunalty, i noticed
> i'm obliged to stop service for my postgresql postgis (9.1) in order to use
> openerp7 (postgres9.2). I 'm surprised about that. There is there a way to
> use these two servers at the same time?
Yes, absolutely - just run them on different ports (assuming you're
connecting on TCP/IP). Set the "port" directive in postgresql.conf, and
restart.

for RHEL/Fedora/Centos type Linux systems using the PGDG RPMs from the yum repository, create a file

    /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/postgresql-XX

(where postgresql-XX is the name of the init.d start/stop script for the version you're wanting to munge), and insert into that file the line...

    PGPORT=5433
    PGDATA=/u01/pgsql/9.2/data

(or whatever).  you can add other environment variables that are used by the server.

you can also use this trick to run more than one instance of the same version of postgresql.  first copy /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql-9.2 to another name, say postgresql-9.2B  and then create /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/postgresql-9.2B  with the alternate vales you want to use.   now,   `service postgresql-9.2B initdb`  and start/stop it etc.