Re: pg_upgrade tests vs alter generic changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pg_upgrade tests vs alter generic changes
Date
Re: pg_upgrade tests vs alter generic changes  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 09/29/2012 11:49 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The recent alter generic tests have broken pg_upgrade testing on Windows
>> and probably other non-collation-supporting platforms.
> Is it still broken after Alvaro added the alternate expected file, and
> if so why?  I don't see a reason that this should be failing only there.
> I also note that it seems to be passing fine on buildfarm members other
> than pitta.

Well, that's a very good point. chough is actually the same machine,
doing an MSVC build. So why would this test pass there? I'll investigate
a bit more. Here's what the regression diffs look like when run from
pg_upgrade on pitta:

cheers

andrew

***
c:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/pgrunner/bf/root/HEAD/pgsql.7132/../pgsql/src/test/regress/expected/alter_generic_1.out
Sat Sep 29 02:01:44 2012
---
c:/MinGW/msys/1.0/home/pgrunner/bf/root/HEAD/pgsql.7132/src/test/regress/results/alter_generic.out
Sat Sep 29 13:41:39 2012
***************
*** 110,137 ****  -- can't test this: the error message includes the encoding name  -- ALTER COLLATION alt_coll1 RENAME
TOalt_coll2;  -- failed (name

conflict)  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll1 RENAME TO alt_coll3;  -- OK
! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll1" for encoding "SQL_ASCII" does not exist  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll2 OWNER TO
regtest_alter_user2; -- failed

(no role membership)
! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll2" for encoding "SQL_ASCII" does not exist  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll2 OWNER TO
regtest_alter_user3; -- OK

! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll2" for encoding "SQL_ASCII" does not exist  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll2 SET SCHEMA alt_nsp2;
-- OK

! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll2" for encoding "SQL_ASCII" does not exist  SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION regtest_alter_user2;
CREATE COLLATION alt_coll1 (locale = 'C');  ERROR:  nondefault collations are not supported on this platform  CREATE
COLLATIONalt_coll2 (locale = 'C');  ERROR:  nondefault collations are not supported on this platform  ALTER COLLATION
alt_coll3RENAME TO alt_coll4;  -- failed (not owner)

! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll3" for encoding "SQL_ASCII" does not exist  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll1 RENAME TO alt_coll4;
-- OK

! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll1" for encoding "SQL_ASCII" does not exist  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll3 OWNER TO
regtest_alter_user2; -- failed

(not owner)
! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll3" for encoding "SQL_ASCII" does not exist  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll2 OWNER TO
regtest_alter_user3; -- failed

(no role membership)
! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll2" for encoding "SQL_ASCII" does not exist  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll3 SET SCHEMA alt_nsp2;
-- failed (not owner)

! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll3" for encoding "SQL_ASCII" does not exist  -- can't test this: the error message includes
theencoding name  -- ALTER COLLATION alt_coll2 SET SCHEMA alt_nsp2;  -- failed (name

conflict)  RESET SESSION AUTHORIZATION;
--- 110,137 ----  -- can't test this: the error message includes the encoding name  -- ALTER COLLATION alt_coll1 RENAME
TOalt_coll2;  -- failed (name

conflict)  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll1 RENAME TO alt_coll3;  -- OK
! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll1" for encoding "WIN1252" does not exist  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll2 OWNER TO
regtest_alter_user2; -- failed

(no role membership)
! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll2" for encoding "WIN1252" does not exist  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll2 OWNER TO
regtest_alter_user3; -- OK

! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll2" for encoding "WIN1252" does not exist  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll2 SET SCHEMA alt_nsp2;
--OK

! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll2" for encoding "WIN1252" does not exist  SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION regtest_alter_user2;
CREATECOLLATION alt_coll1 (locale = 'C');  ERROR:  nondefault collations are not supported on this platform  CREATE
COLLATIONalt_coll2 (locale = 'C');  ERROR:  nondefault collations are not supported on this platform  ALTER COLLATION
alt_coll3RENAME TO alt_coll4;  -- failed (not owner)

! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll3" for encoding "WIN1252" does not exist  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll1 RENAME TO alt_coll4;
--OK

! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll1" for encoding "WIN1252" does not exist  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll3 OWNER TO
regtest_alter_user2; -- failed

(not owner)
! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll3" for encoding "WIN1252" does not exist  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll2 OWNER TO
regtest_alter_user3; -- failed

(no role membership)
! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll2" for encoding "WIN1252" does not exist  ALTER COLLATION alt_coll3 SET SCHEMA alt_nsp2;
--failed (not owner)

! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll3" for encoding "WIN1252" does not exist  -- can't test this: the error message includes