Re: Why is it not using the other processor? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ryan Mahoney
Subject Re: Why is it not using the other processor?
Date
List pgsql-general
 From what I understand, postgres runs multiple 'backends' which will
utilize a single process.  If you have simultaneous queries running using
multiple backend the backend will be distributed across your
processors.  If your OS doesn't support SMP that would affect it too ;)

Re: killing a process from browser, I don't think what you're trying to do
is really possible.  If your application could be aware of the process_id
of the backend (I don't know if this is possible) you could make a system
call just to kill that particular backend (bad idea!) and have a client
side javascript call that procedure in a hidden frame.  Sounds hokey to me!

I think your best bet may be to redesign your application.  I don't know
what kind of data you are searching against or how it is structured, but at
10 seconds to execute, and 100% CPU utilization - if you had a handful of
users trying to access this data simultaneously they're going to be waiting
a lot longer than 10 seconds!

Good Luck!

-r

At 09:20 AM 7/5/01 -0600, Linh Luong wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My postgres is running on a dual processor.  But when I run a query and
>look at TOP and notice only one processor is being used.  And it is
>being used 100% (assuming only 1 process is active).  Why would it
>allocate the work to the other processor.  Am I missing something
>here.   If so how can I make it use the other one too?
>
>One more question. I am using the browser to display my data.  If I
>start the query by means of pressing the Search button and then I decide
>to stop the search by pressing STOP (on the broswer).  The browser stop
>executing and I can still surf the web.  My question is why is the
>process that handles the search still running when I view TOP.  It
>doesn't go away until it has completed it query.  Is there a way I make
>postgres realize that netscape has terminated and it should also die.
>My search for example takes 10 secs.  But if I stop and start it often
>the time it requires to search increase dramatically.  I am trying to
>look for a solution on the postgres or apache side.
>

>Please help me..
>
>Thanks
>

>Linh

>http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html