Why is it not using the other processor? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Linh Luong
Subject Why is it not using the other processor?
Date
Re: Why is it not using the other processor?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

My postgres is running on a dual processor.  But when I run a query and
look at TOP and notice only one processor is being used.  And it is
being used 100% (assuming only 1 process is active).  Why would it
allocate the work to the other processor.  Am I missing something
here.   If so how can I make it use the other one too?

One more question. I am using the browser to display my data.  If I
start the query by means of pressing the Search button and then I decide
to stop the search by pressing STOP (on the broswer).  The browser stop
executing and I can still surf the web.  My question is why is the
process that handles the search still running when I view TOP.  It
doesn't go away until it has completed it query.  Is there a way I make
postgres realize that netscape has terminated and it should also die.
My search for example takes 10 secs.  But if I stop and start it often
the time it requires to search increase dramatically.  I am trying to
look for a solution on the postgres or apache side.

Please help me..

Thanks

Linh