Re: Install Postgresql on Win2000 with Admin Rights - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Install Postgresql on Win2000 with Admin Rights
Date
List pgsql-general
Stefan Sturm wrote:
> Hello,
>

>> If you can do that, you obviously have admin rights, so why not just
>> use the MSI installer?
>
> When I try to run the Intaller, I get this Message: "The
> Systemadminitrator guidelines issued in order to prevent this
> installation".
Have you upgraded the Windows Installer engine?

Do you have domain or local group policy in place that might be blocking
msi installations?

Have you examined your event log for more information?

Have you gone digging with filemon to see what's *really* going on?
>> That said, this often happens if you have an incorrect version of the
>> MSVC runtime on your system. See the README file in the download
>> directory.
>
> I can't istall the runtime, because I can't run the MSI installer. The
> same problem :-(

The MSVC runtime linked to by the README:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&DisplayLang=en

is supported for installation on win2k. It'll require admin access to
install, though. Since that's no good for you, you might be able to
bundle the required vc2008 runtime DLL(s) in the postgresql executable
directory. I've done this for my own apps without problems, but it's
possible that if Pg is specifically compiled to use WinSxS it might not
work.

Using Dependency Walker (depends.exe) I can see that my standard (MSI
install) 8.3 binaries want MSVCR80.DLL . They're finding it in my WinSxS
directory on my Vista box. It's not at all difficult to either pull
MSVCR80.DLL from a machine that already has the file or download it off
the 'net. If you put it in the pg bin directory it *should* work, though
I don't know enough about the details of Windows DLL registration etc to
be sure that's safe.

In other words: Try dropping a copy of MSVCR80.DLL into the bin
directory of the non-MSI postgresql zip file and see how you go.

--
Craig Ringer