Re: ecpg thread-safe descriptor - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: ecpg thread-safe descriptor
Date
List pgsql-patches
Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 12:53:58PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>> It it appears to me that the MSVC
>>> build problem has existed for weeks or months but no one noticed so far,
>>> right?
>> This is absolutely not true. We have been building ecpg successfully on
>> MSVC all along, just not testing. See for example the make log at
>> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=red_bat&dt=2007-09-30%20043002&stg=make
>> and search for "Project: libecpg"
>
> Sorry, my bad. Seems I got this mixed up. Once we enabled testing for
> ecpg we had some problems to be sorted out, but right now only the
> DllMain thing seems to be a problem.

There are two problems:
1) DllMain breaks the build *completely*. This is the really urgent one.
This one broke 2 days ago or so.

2) Regression tests don't pass on MSVC anymore. This broke a while ago.
I was working on fixing this, but now that the build is broken there
isn't much I can do until that's fixed.

> Since I do not know whether we really need DllMain could anyone please
> test whether ecpg builds correctly without it? We can then sort out how
> to fix the problem later on. AFAIRC (and hopefully I'm right this time)
> multithreading never worked under msvc so we might have to set
> thread-safety to disabled on these systems for ecpg for the time being.

We could move the initialization somewhere else, but it needs to be
somewhere.

Also, see
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-10/msg00006.php for
another comment on this. This changes more than just the threading
stuff, but if it's something we want then this is a good time to do it.

//Magnus