Re: [RESEND] Transaction auto-abort causes grief with Spring Framework - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tyson Lloyd Thwaites
Subject Re: [RESEND] Transaction auto-abort causes grief with Spring Framework
Date
List pgsql-general
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 03:18:30PM +0930, Tyson Lloyd Thwaites wrote:
>

>>It seems like something that would be fairly easy to change... I don't
>>know. I read someone talking about putting automatic checkpoints on
>>every statement that goes through the jdbc driver to get around this
>>issue. Perhaps this is the only way... unless pg could be put in a mode
>>where it did this for you... like autocommit, but auto-checkpoint.
>>

>FWIW, this is exactly how the psql client handles "ON_ERROR continue".
>There is resistance to building it into the protocol itself since the
>autocommit fiasco. The backward compatability issues are daunting and
>as pointed it can be handled adequately inside the driver
>(jdbc/odbc/etc).
>
>(That's not to say it couldn't be made easier for the clients also. For
>example as part of the query request have a flag that says: start
>savepoint prior to execution.)
>
>Have a nice day,

I am not familiar with the autocommit fiasco, but I can use my
imagination... :)

You mention it can be built into the driver - is this a 'could be' or
'has been', ie is this a mainstream practice, or would such a thing be
considered risky? I would think it would be wonderful to allow users to
choose to override this behaviour - and suffer the consequences if
necessary! It's like playing with the fsync setting... turn it off at
your own risk.

--
Tyson Lloyd Thwaites
Lead Software Developer