Re: [RESEND] Transaction auto-abort causes grief with Spring Framework - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: [RESEND] Transaction auto-abort causes grief with Spring Framework
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 04:10:24PM +0930, Tyson Lloyd Thwaites wrote:
> I am not familiar with the autocommit fiasco, but I can use my
> imagination... :)

The changed transaction semantics caused much havoc with librarys and
drivers because client program could change the setting and driver no
long had any idea when their queries would commit.

> You mention it can be built into the driver - is this a 'could be' or
> 'has been', ie is this a mainstream practice, or would such a thing be
> considered risky? I would think it would be wonderful to allow users to
> choose to override this behaviour - and suffer the consequences if
> necessary! It's like playing with the fsync setting... turn it off at
> your own risk.

Looking at the archives it's definitly been discussed but looks like
it's waiting for someone to implement it... (Odd, I wouldn't have
thought it was so difficult).

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment