Re: [RESEND] Transaction auto-abort causes grief with Spring Framework - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tyson Lloyd Thwaites
Subject Re: [RESEND] Transaction auto-abort causes grief with Spring Framework
Date
List pgsql-general
>> The auditing is an interesting question, to which I do not have an
>> answer.  Seems impossible to do in a transaction, by definition (ie
>> not product specific).  Thoughts?

We do this with MSSQL. I have never given it a second thought until now.
If anything goes wrong we send an audit event, usually in a catch block,
all in the same transaction. If we have caught the exception, Spring
will commit, and the 'good' statements will stick.

The best example of this is if we can't delete a record, we will 'mark'
it instead, for example:

try {
  <delete record>
} catch (DataIntegrityViolationException e) {
  <mark record deleted/invisible>
}

These deleted records are then cleaned up at a later stage. This works
fine for MSSQL, I must admit we are not actively maintaining our Oracle
support.