Re: [RESEND] Transaction auto-abort causes grief with Spring Framework - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: [RESEND] Transaction auto-abort causes grief with Spring Framework
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 03:18:30PM +0930, Tyson Lloyd Thwaites wrote:
> It seems like something that would be fairly easy to change... I don't
> know. I read someone talking about putting automatic checkpoints on
> every statement that goes through the jdbc driver to get around this
> issue. Perhaps this is the only way... unless pg could be put in a mode
> where it did this for you... like autocommit, but auto-checkpoint.

FWIW, this is exactly how the psql client handles "ON_ERROR continue".
There is resistance to building it into the protocol itself since the
autocommit fiasco. The backward compatability issues are daunting and
as pointed it can be handled adequately inside the driver
(jdbc/odbc/etc).

(That's not to say it couldn't be made easier for the clients also. For
example as part of the query request have a flag that says: start
savepoint prior to execution.)

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment