Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL relatedpressrelease - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL relatedpressrelease
Date
Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL relatedpressrelease
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> If you write a application for EDB, take EDB out and plug in postgres,
> will that APP run?

Yes, provided you don't use any of the Oracle-compatible features. That
is one of the standing requirements of any changes we make, per our CTO.

>> I know I posted earlier today that CMD was dedicated to PostgreSQL
>> support, but now I am not sure how this is any different than how EDB's
>> PostgreSQL support.
>
> EDB has made it very clear that EDB is not PostgreSQL but that it is
> "based" on postgresql and that EDB is "better" than PostgreSQL.

EDB the *product* is based on PostgreSQL and adds Oracle compatibility
features as well as DynaTune and other performance improvements
(virtually all of which get offered back to the community), but you're
missing the fact that we also support for customers running community
PostgreSQL.

So, CMD support PostgreSQL and their proprietary Mammoth Replicator
enhanced version, whilst EDB support PostgreSQL and our proprietary
EnterpriseDB Advanced Server.

So I think the only real difference is in the enhancements we offer in
our respective proprietary versions - you offer an integrated
replication solution, we offer Oracle compatibility.

Regards, Dave.