Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL relatedpressrelease - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL relatedpressrelease
Date
Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL relatedpressrelease
List pgsql-advocacy
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> I got it off your web site this morning and it is still there, on the
>> link I gave.
>>
>> If you sell a closed source product as well, then the word "dedicated"
>> cannot apply to you. Even if you claim it does, your stretching of the
>> definition of that word would necessarily include EnterpriseDB (and
>> others), so the word "only" would then be invalid.
>>
>> Your logic is erroneous and you are not "the only dedicated PostgreSQL
>> support provider" in North America.
>
> I think CMD can claim to be the _largest_ dedicated PostgreSQL _support_
> provider in North America.
>
> However, they support CMD closed-source products too, so why is CMD a
> dedicated PostgreSQL support company and EDB is not?

If you write a application for EDB, take EDB out and plug in postgres,
will that APP run?

> I know I posted earlier today that CMD was dedicated to PostgreSQL
> support, but now I am not sure how this is any different than how EDB's
> PostgreSQL support.

EDB has made it very clear that EDB is not PostgreSQL but that it is
"based" on postgresql and that EDB is "better" than PostgreSQL.

CMD on the other hand is very clear that our only closed source product
*is* PostgreSQL but it has replication integrated.

Mammoth PostgreSQL + Replication, is 100% pure PostgreSQL with
integrated replication.

In fact one of our other "products" which is PostgreSQL Core, clearly
states that:

PostgreSQL Core is the distribution developed and distributed by the
PostgreSQL.Org community. We are one of the many contributors to this
excellent database software. It is 100% enterprise ready and
commercially supported.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/