Re: PG Email Client - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Allison
Subject Re: PG Email Client
Date
Re: PG Email Client  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Re: PG Email Client  (Alban Hertroys <alban@magproductions.nl>)
List pgsql-general
Alban Hertroys wrote:
> Jean-Gérard Pailloncy wrote:
>> I do not have test numbers rigth now, because I need first to configure
>> the box for virtual hosting, then dspam.
>
> It would be really wonderful if someone managed to combine this with
> dspams own database. Maybe it'd be possible to pull dspam's algorithms
> as a lib into the database?
>
> I've been wanting an IMAP spam drop-box like forever, this seems like a
> possibility to achieve this. Combine a spam/not-spam trigger to specific
> IMAP boxes and make those update dspam's statistics - seems possible :)
>
> All I'd need to do to mark something spam is drop the mail in the right
> box from my client. The quarantine box could work similarly.

I would be careful about using dspam.

I have documented cases where it lost email and even with posting all the debug
and other logs on the mailing lists I've never received any indication that they
recognize this as a dspam problem.

dspam will lose your mail.

I wouldn't spend a second considering trying to merge a spam filtering
application into an imap server.  It's just plain dumb.  You have lose all
modularity of code or function and now you exponentially increase the
probability that you will have defects and they will be exponentially more
difficult to identify and fix.

Leave dbmail to do what it does and invent something else to do what other clear
functionality you want available.  That's the only sane way to do this kind of
development.

For example -- spam filtering in itself can require a very large box with
extensive amounts of resources in terms of memory, cpu, disk IO....  If you have
that combined with a large dbmail installation and a postgres database what you
end up with is wanting multiple boxes to disperse the loads around.
What you are describing here is the opposite.  Make one box do everything in the
entire environment of email.

There are other things you can do to use imap folders and spam training that
would make more sense.

The *one* feature I did like about dspam is they quarantine spam and you can
sort it out later.  That can be done easily enough and won't interfere with
dbmail if you don't want it to.