Re: PG Email Client - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: PG Email Client
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Allison wrote:
> I would be careful about using dspam.
>
> I have documented cases where it lost email and even with posting all
> the debug and other logs on the mailing lists I've never received any
> indication that they recognize this as a dspam problem.
>
> dspam will lose your mail.

This is getting off topic, but I can't just let this hang in the air.

I know there have been cases - particularly in old versions (> 1 year
old IIRC) where dspam would fail to deliver a message w/o returning an
error code.

I'm sure there are combinations of MTA - dspam - delivery agent that
break. Dspam can be used in so many ways, it's very difficult to cover
every possible scenario it can be deployed in.

However, anything remotely recent (I still use an old 3.6.6) returns an
error code on failure. For the rest, it is up to your MTA to respond to
those error codes, crashes of dspam, etc. I use postfix, and it does
check things like that.

As a matter of fact, I've had trouble in the past where postfix decided
dspam wasn't going to finish processing mail and delivered the message
regardless (that was when my mail/spam machine was a P233 w/ only 64MB
RAM - it simply couldn't cope).

I know there are bugs in dspam, but I doubt it's losing mail.

That said, anything beyond the scope of its performance on postgres is
off topic and should be taken off list.

--
Alban Hertroys
alban@magproductions.nl