Re: sql formatter/beautifier - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joris Dobbelsteen
Subject Re: sql formatter/beautifier
Date
List pgsql-general
PostGreSQL (7.4 and onward) has such a thing build-in, but its not
particulary good (simple case works, but once it gets complex it makes a
mess out of it).

For example the postgresql formatted version
$CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW "Subquery" AS
$ SELECT t1.a, t2.b
$   FROM ( SELECT 1 AS a, 2 AS x) t1
$   JOIN ((( SELECT 1 AS b, 2 AS x
$UNION ALL
$         SELECT 1 AS b, 2 AS x)
$UNION
$         SELECT 1 AS b, 2 AS x)
$UNION ALL
$         SELECT 1 AS b, 2 AS x) t2 ON t1.x = t2.x
$  WHERE (t1.a IN ( SELECT 1
$UNION
$    SELECT 2));
(hopefully the mailer doesn't mess with the spacing)

I just found http://psti.equinoxbase.com/
There is a online demo and it works perfectly on this query:
$CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW "Subquery" AS
$SELECT t1.a, t2.b
$FROM ( SELECT 1 AS a, 2 AS x) t1
$JOIN ((( SELECT 1 AS b, 2 AS x
$         UNION ALL
$         SELECT 1 AS b, 2 AS x)
$       UNION
$       SELECT 1 AS b, 2 AS x)
$      UNION ALL
$      SELECT 1 AS b, 2 AS x) t2 ON t1.x = t2.x
$WHERE (t1.a IN ( SELECT 1
$                 UNION
$                 SELECT 2));

Probably such a thing should be integrated into postgresql...

- Joris