Re: postgresql live-cd - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Michael Dean
Subject Re: postgresql live-cd
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Koen Martens wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Introducing myself: Koen Martens, the person who took up the task of
>creating a live cd containing (at least) postgresql and pgadmin3, to
>be handed out on conferences (http://pgfoundry.org/projects/livecd/).
>
>Now, my idea is to create one of those nifty credit-card sized cd's,
>

>Any hints, ideas, opinions are welcome!
>
>Best,
>
>Koen

I think that any product must be produced to increase the marketing
visibility and position of postgresql, not just for an "insiders"
thing.  Have you compared the cost of small nifty business card cd's
with standard size?  My cost is .49 each for 40mb carddisc in quantity 100.

Personally, IMNSHO this trivializes the software and its presentation,
especially when an elephant is our mascot!!

Also, there is only less than a dime's difference between cost of CD and
DVD.  .42 for regular high quality blue disc, and .53 for 16x dvd with
4.7Gb.

on dvd we could put gentoo, debian, Solarus and freebsd versions on plus
all collateral products, including bizgres and enterprisedb community
with front end, plus windows stuff of course.  It could be a really
nifty sales package.  For instance, a first class package of six-panel
DVDigipaks, printed as a cheat sheet I suggested earlier, plus the DVD,
in full artwork, is only 1.99 each in 1000 quantity.  Would you pay
$4.00 for a combination cheat sheet of functions, commands, etc. with 4
major distros?  That is a $2.00 profit in "donations".  If only eight
commercial types put up $500 each for inclusion of a section for their
stuff, plus a mention on the 6 sided covers, we could produce 2000 packages.

Michael Dean