Re: DB cache size strategies - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rick Gigger
Subject Re: DB cache size strategies
Date
List pgsql-general
Has anyone discussed adding to postgres the ability to figure this out
on it's own.  Couldn't it gather some statistics about the kind of
resources that it is actually using and adjust accordingly.  You could
give it a max amount to use for the shared buffers but if it was so high
that it degraded performance postgres could just cut back on what it
actually used.

Is this even feasile?  Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that most
other dbs seem to work this way.

It would make installing a nice tuned postgres a much more turn key
operation.

rick