Re: DB cache size strategies - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: DB cache size strategies
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 11 February 2004 21:40, Rick Gigger wrote:
> Has anyone discussed adding to postgres the ability to figure this out
> on it's own.  Couldn't it gather some statistics about the kind of
> resources that it is actually using and adjust accordingly.  You could
> give it a max amount to use for the shared buffers but if it was so high
> that it degraded performance postgres could just cut back on what it
> actually used.
>
> Is this even feasile?  Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that most
> other dbs seem to work this way.
>
> It would make installing a nice tuned postgres a much more turn key
> operation.

What if making the DB run faster makes everything else run slower? How does it
know whether 0.1sec i/o time was just it, or if there was another process
contending for disk access?

Then again, maybe interactive speed isn't important, but your bulk update is.
Or, perhaps your report can wait, but a realtime response is vital.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd