Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium
Date
List pgsql-general

JG> Hi, all.
JG> I need to upgrade my dual Xeon PostgreSQL engine.

JG> Assuming similar memory and disk sub-systems, I am considering a Quad
JG> Xeon system vs. a Dual Itanium for PostgreSQL.  I believe that the

Save the money from the dual itanium or quad xeon and buy a dual xeon
but faster disks with a larger cache in the RAID controller, and
perhaps a dedicated RAID controller for the disk set that holds the
write-ahead log.

You're sure to find that you saturate the disk system faster than you
fill up even one CPU, let alone 4.

I assume that the box will be running *only* the database and any
other applications will run elsewhere.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD  +1-301-869-4449 x806
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/