Re: Commercial binary support? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Subject Re: Commercial binary support?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Nigel J. Andrews wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

>>Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>>We don't either, nor do we worry about specific platforms ...
>>
>>And I know CommandPrompt doesn't care either.
>

> I don't even know what it means. If I were to build the 7.4 source, install it
> somewhere, tarball it up would that then count as providing our own supported
> binaries (assuming the support service is also offered of course)? Surely it's
> fairly common for someone to sell support and be happy to include the service
> of supplying the binaries so if requested, what's so special about it?
>

> Nigel Andrews

Nigel,

The name of the game is "warranty". PostgreSQL is BSD license and
therefore there is no warranty. A good support company will pick up the
risk and fix bugs, backport bugs and features, and provide "improved"
tarballs.
There is nothing special - it's just a service. However, it is a service
which is necessary because larger companies have to be sure that things
are working properly.
Regards,
    Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria