Re: TEXT datatype and VB6... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Ayers
Subject Re: TEXT datatype and VB6...
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello, all - this is my first posting to this list...

I have a question, which I don't know if it is a bug, or if it is
something I am doing wrong.

I have an application which accesses a table inside a PostgreSQL DB.
This table was created by a custom conversion process (written in VB6)
to convert Access 97 tables to PostgreSQL tables.

In my conversion engine, I convert Access 97 Memo type fields to
PostgreSQL TEXT type fields.

In my application, if I perform an AddNew to add a new record to this
table, it is able to update the fields OK on the table prior to the
Update, but if I perform another update to the field which is a TEXT
type field prior to the Update, it dies with the error:

Run-time error 3032: Can't perform this operation.

---

Here is a little VB-ish pseudocode to illustrate what I am trying to do,
and what is happenning:

With Table
   .AddNew
   ![Field] = "Foo"
   ![Field] = "Bar" ' Error happens here
   .Update
End With

This is only happenning with TEXT type fields - if I change my
conversion process to convert Memo fields to say VARCHAR(90000), the
above code framework processes correctly without the error, just like it
works with an Access 97 database.

Can someone help me out here - what I may or may not be doing right or
wrong? If you need more detail, email me and I will try to provide what
I can...

Thank you,

Andrew L. Ayers