Re: TEXT datatype and VB6... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Ayers
Subject Re: TEXT datatype and VB6...
Date
List pgsql-general
I am posting this to clarify my last email about it:

First off, this is only happenning when I perform the following sequence
in my VB code:

Open PGSQL Database (via DSN-less ODBC connection, using psqlODBC driver)
Select Recordset

With Recordset
    .AddNew
    ![Field] = "blah" ' Field is a TEXT-type field on the pgsql table
    ![Field] = "blah" ' Error occurs here
    .Update
End With

Close Recordset
Close Database

---

If instead of the .AddNew, I do a .Edit (on a pre-existing record I have
selected), it works OK. It also works OK if the field is of a type other
than TEXT - ie, VARCHAR().

If I do a single "update" of the field with the .AddNew:

With Recordset
    .AddNew
    ![Field] = "blah"
    .Update
End With

...the record is added fine.

Does anyone here suspect a problem with the ODBC driver?

I also cannot entertain suggestions of recoding the app to use ADO, RDO,
or SQL INSERT statements, etc - mainly because it is a large legacy
application heavily invested in DAO (the reason for moving from Access
97 to PostgreSQL is so that a rewrite of the application, in something
other than VB, can be accomplished, while still allowing the current
application to function and update the new DB).

Thank you,

Andrew