Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mike Mascari wrote:
<snip>
> In Windows 2000 and Windows XP with an NTFS filesystem,
> Microsoft has added Reparse Points, which allow for the
> implementation of symbolic links for directories. Microsoft
> calls them "Junctions". I *believe* the function used for
> creating reparse points is DeviceIoControl() with the
> FSCTL_SET_REPARSE_POINT I/O control code. I don't have quick
> access to 2K or XP, but it is clearly not supported by Win32 on
> 95/98/ME.
>
> Here's a link discussing the features of NTFS5 and Reparse Points:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnw2kmag00/html/NTFSPart1.asp

That's really useful info.  Reparse points under Win2k (mount points to
the rest of us) are definitely something to try out in the future then.
:)

Seems like the NT4 users are left out in the cold though until we add
some kind of ability for PostgreSQL to not look at the filesystem for
info about where to put the xlog files.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Mike Mascari
> mascarm@mascari.com

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi