Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Justin Clift wrote:

> Mike Mascari wrote:
> <snip>
> > In Windows 2000 and Windows XP with an NTFS filesystem,
> > Microsoft has added Reparse Points, which allow for the
> > implementation of symbolic links for directories. Microsoft
> > calls them "Junctions". I *believe* the function used for
> > creating reparse points is DeviceIoControl() with the
> > FSCTL_SET_REPARSE_POINT I/O control code. I don't have quick
> > access to 2K or XP, but it is clearly not supported by Win32 on
> > 95/98/ME.
> >
> > Here's a link discussing the features of NTFS5 and Reparse Points:
> >
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnw2kmag00/html/NTFSPart1.asp
>
> That's really useful info.  Reparse points under Win2k (mount points to
> the rest of us) are definitely something to try out in the future then.
> :)
>
> Seems like the NT4 users are left out in the cold though until we add
> some kind of ability for PostgreSQL to not look at the filesystem for
> info about where to put the xlog files.

This isn't true.  With the resource kit, you get the gnu utils, and ln
works a charm under NT4 with ntfs.  And not just for directories, but
files as well.  Unless Microsoft somehow removed that functionality in the
intervening years since I've used NT.  (wouldn't put it past them, but I
doubt they have.)