Re: First Win32 Contribution (Was: Re: Democracy and organisation: - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jon Franz
Subject Re: First Win32 Contribution (Was: Re: Democracy and organisation:
Date
List pgsql-hackers
It could be helpful to create a mailing list just for this project,
since not all members of pg-hackers will/shall participate, and we
would probably flood this list quite a bit trying to figure out what
is the best way to implement a win32 port.  Just like the
pg-replication list, this new list would be project specific.

However, as an aside, I think the 'first best fit shall be commited'
approach is a _bad_ idea.  Everyone (whos interested in the port)
agrees with the basic goals, and we will get a working system much
faster if we all work on a single solution: And not try to race each
other.
If the main pg developers do not want to bless a specific method/project
for the port, then the people interested should hash it out, before
hundreds of man-hours are wasted developing something that ends up not
being used.  Debuging-into existence is a bad idea, as the single-night
example hints at (wether intentionaly or not) - with a proper plan we
should be able to create unit tests that can prove whether the methods
choosen are functioning well before we ever get a fully working
postmaster.

~Jon Franz