Re: First Win32 Contribution (Was: Re: Democracy and organisation: - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: First Win32 Contribution (Was: Re: Democracy and organisation:
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jon Franz wrote:
> It could be helpful to create a mailing list just for this project,
> since not all members of pg-hackers will/shall participate, and we
> would probably flood this list quite a bit trying to figure out what
> is the best way to implement a win32 port.  Just like the
> pg-replication list, this new list would be project specific.
>
> However, as an aside, I think the 'first best fit shall be commited'
> approach is a _bad_ idea.  Everyone (whos interested in the port)
> agrees with the basic goals, and we will get a working system much
> faster if we all work on a single solution: And not try to race each
> other.

I think we have to be involved to prevent chaos when those patches
arrive.

> If the main pg developers do not want to bless a specific method/project
> for the port, then the people interested should hash it out, before
> hundreds of man-hours are wasted developing something that ends up not
> being used.  Debuging-into existence is a bad idea, as the single-night
> example hints at (wether intentionaly or not) - with a proper plan we
> should be able to create unit tests that can prove whether the methods
> choosen are functioning well before we ever get a fully working
> postmaster.

Actually, don't we have a cygwin mailing list?  Seems that would be a
great location, except for the name.  Maybe Marc can close the list and
migrate them all to a new 'win32' list.

Pennsylvania19026