Re: First Win32 Contribution (Was: Re: Democracy and organisation: - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: First Win32 Contribution (Was: Re: Democracy and organisation:
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:
> > > What I don't want to happen is two Win32 projects contributing duplicate
> > > code at the same time.  It is a waste when they could have combined
> > > their efforts.
> >
> > IMHO, that is actually their problem ... without meaning to sound crass
> > about it, but its not like we haven't discussed it extensively here, and
> > openly ... hell, we've even tried to break down the whole project into
> > smaller components to make the whole easier to merge in :)
>
> The problem with this kind of project is that you have a big stumbling
> block at the beginning, which has to be done before you can rollout and
> integrate the help of developers scattered around the globe. This was
> the case with the foreign key project, where the trigger queue and one
> set of triggers where working, and then Stephan did all the others and I
> forgot who else helped to do the utility commands and CREATE TABLE
> syntax and tried to decrypt the SQL definitions? In the Windows port
> case it is to get it as far that you at least can fire up a postmaster,
> get past the startup process, connect to the database and do a few
> queries before the thing blows up. Before this everybody has exactly the
> same problem, "It doesn't startup", so the likelyhood of everyone
> stomping over each others work every single night is about 99.9%!

Yes, but it doesn't prevent discussion.  I think open implementation
discussion will help.  I am suggesting this to everyone, not just Jan.
I have been in private discussion with others too.

Pennsylvania19026