Re: First Win32 Contribution (Was: Re: Democracy and - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: First Win32 Contribution (Was: Re: Democracy and
Date
Re: First Win32 Contribution (Was: Re: Democracy and  (Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>)
Re: First Win32 Contribution (Was: Re: Democracy and  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > This line bothers me.  With multiple people working on Win32, I would
> > like us to decide how we would _like_ such a port to be implemented. I
> > think this will assist those working on the project to _know_ that their
> > work will be accepted if submitted.
>
> 1. that is not accurate, as it won't necessarily be accepted if submitted
> ... its not like years ago when are standards were lax ... Jan is
> perfectly accurate in his assessment of which will make it in, except for
> omitting one point ... it has to meet our standards ... so, its more "the
> first to contribute *and* meet our standards" ...

Omitted point taken :-)

> > What I don't want to happen is two Win32 projects contributing duplicate
> > code at the same time.  It is a waste when they could have combined
> > their efforts.
>
> IMHO, that is actually their problem ... without meaning to sound crass
> about it, but its not like we haven't discussed it extensively here, and
> openly ... hell, we've even tried to break down the whole project into
> smaller components to make the whole easier to merge in :)

The problem with this kind of project is that you have a big stumbling
block at the beginning, which has to be done before you can rollout and
integrate the help of developers scattered around the globe. This was
the case with the foreign key project, where the trigger queue and one
set of triggers where working, and then Stephan did all the others and I
forgot who else helped to do the utility commands and CREATE TABLE
syntax and tried to decrypt the SQL definitions? In the Windows port
case it is to get it as far that you at least can fire up a postmaster,
get past the startup process, connect to the database and do a few
queries before the thing blows up. Before this everybody has exactly the
same problem, "It doesn't startup", so the likelyhood of everyone
stomping over each others work every single night is about 99.9%!

Jan